Friday, November 30, 2012

Primitive Christmas Blog

                                 

Merry Primitive Christmas!






It was great that I drew November 30th as my date, because it forced me to drag the gazillion boxes of Christmas decorations down from the attic (yes I do have an attic in San Diego) and make our house all Christmasy.....The top photo is looking into our living room from the entry....and this one is also from the entry, but facing the tv room and the kitchen. 




This is one of the groups of Santas in the tv room.....I am sure by now you have guessed that I collect Santas.....and they are everywhere!  Thank yous go out to the wonderful Stacy West for coming up with this great idea of a primitive blog hop....I know that you are all throughly enjoying it


Our family LOVES Christmas.  When Pierce, my oldest grandson was a baby I really wanted to fill a stocking for him....but we decided that two stockings might confuse him.....So I came up with the idea of SANTA BAGS.....Here are the ones I  have made.....I only have 7 grandchildren but LOTS more bags because my adult children decided that they and their spouses needed them too!  I fill them to the brim and now wrap all the gifts that are in them.  They are the first things we open on Christmas Day.




Although I love Santas, you can see from the Santa Bags, I also think Snowmen are pretty cute.....and so I have added one to my crazy stocking for a new ornament for you!

Snowman Stocking Ornament





Just click on the  highlighted Snow Stocking Ornament
to get a pdf that you can download with all the directions.... 


I thought you could also use a little visual.....so here goes.....Cut your stocking out of warm and natural batting (or a batting of your choice)......then lay out your wool





 ....use the basic shapes on the pattern, but overlap the edges of the stocking base......




Now turn it over and trim the edges using the stocking as your guide.....


Flip the stocking over.....Sew the raw edges with a herringbone stitch....Whipstitch the star in place.....                                                                                                                                        


    
                                                                
Make the snowman as directed and slip it into the finished stocking....Add the handle and enjoy!













 




 So there you go.....Now that you know how easy "wool crazy" is you will have to whip out a quilt!

What is Christmas without yummy treats.  I love to go to cookie exchanges, but I never seem to have the time to make those super involved beautiful cookies.  Years ago my sister Kathy gave me this recipe for a quick stove top candy type cookie.....I make it all the time and it is always a big hit.  My son Andy likes it with just peanuts, so when he was at home at least one batch was made just for him.  I should warn you that they become addictive, so beware of the first bite.....



On Monday, December 3 Lori from Notforgotten Farm will be posting.  It will be something that I know you will LOVE! 

Thanks for stopping by today....I hope that you all have a happy and healthy Christmas.......
                              Hugs to you.......Jo Ann



Monday Nov 26 * Tara Darr * Sew Unique Creations
Wed Nov 28 * Debbie Busby * Wooden Spool Designs
Friday 30 * JoAnn Mullaly * JAM – Wool Crazy
Monday Dec 3 * Lori Brechlin * Notforgotten Farm
Wed Dec 5 * Lynda Hall * Primitive Pieces by Lynda
Friday Dec 7 * Cheri Payne * Quilts By Cheri
Monday Dec 10 * Stacy Nash * Stacy Nash
Wed Dec 12 * Ali Strebel * Ali Strebel Designs
Friday Dec 14 * Kathy Schmitz * Kathy Schmitz
Monday Dec 17 * Jeni * Woolen Willow/Primitive Quilts Magazine
Wed Dec 19 * Lisa Bongean * Primitive Gatherings
Friday Dec 21 * Stacy West * Buttermilk Basin

45 comments:

  1. Your snowman is adorable ! Thank you and merry season to you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so adorable. thanks for sharing. I have to try that recipe this weekend. Your home looks so inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, JoAnn!! Love this sweet stocking and snowman! Thanks for sharing it with us! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and the very Best of EVERYTHING!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say that your Chrismas bags are really lovely ! What a cute tradition !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of your Christmas Bags and they are quite lovely. Thank you for sharing the bags, your Christmas decor (which I absolutely love), your recipe and the Christmas Stocking ornie - loved it all. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snowmen too and usually save them to put out in January. Thanks for the pattern for the snowman in the stocking. SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the visit to your home. It's lovely. The Santa Bags are such a neat idea and I love the snowman stocking. I totally enjoyed my visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the Snow Stocking! I have been anxiously awaiting your day to post and I am ever so happy. Hope you are enjoying your retirement. Thank you for the peek into your home as well as a view of the great bags you've made for your family. The recipe sounds tasty! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is just wonderful but I didn't expect any less! Thank you for the pattern. Now I know what to do with all my Warm & Natural scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. JoAnn, your snowman stocking is adorable! I may have to get it ready to have a hand sewing project for this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this hop and I love your stocking ornie, it will be fun to make.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. entiendo que sus hijos quieran esas bolsas!!!!! ¡¡como me gustan !!
    gracias por el patrón
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your house is beautiful! I am currently working on a small crazy from your book. It's such fun. The stocking is adorable and your recipe sounds like a must make on my cookie list. Thank you so much for sharing . Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Than you for the pattern JoAnn! Your home is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home is beautiful!! Love everything about it. I love the stocking ornament, when I try to download the pattern of the ornament, it comes up error every time. Anyone else having trouble with this? Help! Merry Christmas to all! Deb C.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the cute project. I love your Christmas decorating--so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jo Ann... You've done it again! Retirement is out of the question. Nobody does Wool Crazy like you do.
    Your blog is beautiful... great pictures and I think you owe Andy a plate of those cookies. Nice work.
    Thank you so much... now, I got to go pull some wool and get started!

    Hugs, Susy B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely home you have, especially when decorated for Christmas. Love the idea of the Santa bags. Much better I think than stockings. Thanks for the sweet pattern. I collect Santas as well, but snowmen are just as delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That ornie is adorable!! Love the way you decorate!!
    Thanks so much!

    Hugs,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the wonderful ornament. Have a wonderful christmas !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm, I'm checking into the pdf issue. The pdf is hosted on google docs and I noticed that when signed in I have no problem seeing the doc, but when signed out I'm getting an error message. It should be available to everyone without a google account, but if you have an account (they're free) see if that helps. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find out.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your house is so warm and inviting. I'd love to come over and stitch with you! (wink). I'll be making this project for sure! Oh, and happy retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the Christmas pattern and recipe. I love your primitive Santas. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, hopefully I fixed the pdf problem. I changed the hosting site and it looks like it should work for everyone. Sorry about the issue with google docs. Merry Christmas everyone.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very big thanks to my son Andy.....his mom is definitely not high tech (notice all the handwritten patterns) so he has had to rescue me during this posting.....:))))

      Delete
  25. Your home is beautiful and the Christmas decorations make it even more so. Love the free pattern but most of all I love the idea of the santa bags. No grandkids yet but soon. Great idea for next year

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the great stocking
    pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your house all decorated. Unfortunately I cannot open the PDF...or actually view it...it is blank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle....I just tried it and it opened
      ....Let me know if you still have problems....send me an email at jampatterns@cox.net and I will try to send it directly to you.....Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  28. Oh, I could just come in and sit a spell!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute, cute pattern JoAnn!!! I had such a wonderful time at your home and it suits you to a T!!! I am going to do your recipe for a cookie party I am attending, thanks and have a really good Christmas :)) XO

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jo Ann, what a nice visit to your home! Thanks for the stocking pattern! I love the Santa Bags. How big are the bags? You will need to share more about them!! Such a cute idea.... Our stockings are always overflowing. This would be a good solution. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the bags in pattern....They are about 21"-22" square....Lots of room to fill up!

      Delete
  31. Thank you for sharing your home with us! I love "peeking" into houses with a primitive feel! Your little snowman and stocking are just too cute! I love your Santa bags so much I think I will make one for everybody this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for this cute ornament! Just love It! And your house looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a cute ornament! Think I will try it this week, maybe even try to make 5 for the girls' gifts. L

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG!!! How cute is he??? I think I'll have to make one for everyone on my list. Thank You Jo Ann!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cute. Thank you very much. Love your decorating too.
    Thank You,
    Karen M

    ReplyDelete
  36. I left this post unattended after I saw your mantle filled with trees and Santas. I had to do my version. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jo Ann, do you by any chance have a pattern for your Christmas bags?
    Bridgidk@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a pattern....You can buy it from The Country Loft....call them at 619 466-5411......I am so glad that you like them....Merry Christmas...Jo Ann

      Delete
  38. Love your home....so inviting. That stockting is too cute. Printed it out and it'll be on my list come January. Thank you. debby

    ReplyDelete
  39. Going to make your stocking and put him on the presents this year, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  40. you have a very nice home. Happy christmas

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank You for the pattern and the recipe. I cant wait to get the stocking started. Oh, I went to The Country Loft this past weekend. I spent waaayyy to much there. But I did get the last of your Christmas bag patterns. I'm hoping I can get at least 5 finished for this Christmas. Thank You again! Have a Very Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete